Are you a fan of Urdu Shayari or do you just find Urdu fascinating? Or do you just want to copy-paste Urdu text from a document to your WhatsApp status, Urdu OCR software is here to rescue you.
Urdu is gaining popularity as Urdu songs are becoming more popular around the world. Over 87.6 m people speak Urdu as their first language. With increasing popularity, the number of Urdu documents in circulation is also increasing, and thus, the need for Urdu OCR software arises.
Why is Urdu OCR difficult?
Urdu is a complex language and pretty different from the other languages in multiple aspects.
- Different Script – The script is very different from other languages which means the OCR engines have to be trained specifically for the language
- Adjoined Letter System – The cursive writing script follows an adjoined letter system which makes it difficult to recognize characters.
- Right to left Reading – The sentences start from right as compared to all the other languages that start their sentence left.
Even with all these complications, Urdu OCR software can recognize Urdu text with high accuracy. Let’s take a look at the top 7 Urdu OCR software in 2022 and you can find your next pick, here.
Top 6 Urdu OCR software in 2022
You can process any type of Urdu document like scripts, images, scanned documents, handwritten documents, invoices, bills, and more. Nanonets can extract text from Urdu documents with an accuracy of 95%. Apart from being an easy-to-use Urdu OCR software, it can also integrate with 5000+ apps via API integrations and Zapier.
Capterra rating: 4.9
G2 rating: 4.9
How to use Nanonets as Urdu OCR software?
Step 1: Create a free account on Nanonets and login into the software.
Step 2: Select the model of your choice and upload the document.
Step 3: Check the extracted data in the document.
Invoice taken from MSOfficeGeek
Step 4: Once all the data is selected, you can download the extracted data or send the data to the software of your choice.
Pros of using Nanonets
- Simple to learn and use
- Free Trial and forever free plans
- Modern UI
- Extremely customizable – <15 minutes to create a custom model
- No hidden pricing – Check pricing plans
- Create workflows to process documents automatically
- Works with 200+ languages
- Easy integrations with Zapier and API
- 24×7 customer service
- Personalized training options
- Outsourcing services available
Cons of using Nanonets
- Cannot convert into different languages
- Table extraction can be better.
Akhar was developed by a research center at Punjabi University, Patiala. This software supports English, Urdu, Punjabi, and Hindi.
Akar has an Urdu OCR feature which was discontinued in Akhar 2021 but you can download the older version of the Urdu OCR software to access the feature. The software has good accuracy with computer-generated text but it is not great with handwritten text. The software also needs images to have a minimum 300 DPI resolution and doesn’t work with images that are multi-colored. The software can’t detect multiple columns too.
Sakhr OCR is an offline desktop Urdu OCR software. It works well with Arabic languages and also Urdu.
Sakhr OCR software is based on the ABBYY OCR engine. The software uses multiple shape libraries to identify the proper Urdu character.
You can’t use Sakhr for Urdu OCR document automation as there are no automation features like workflow automation.
Pros of using Sakhr OCR:
- Easy to use
- Converts scanned documents into digital text
Cons of using Sakhr OCR:
- The scanning process takes time
- Need high-speed internet connection
- Supports images with solid backgrounds only
- Works best with grayscale images
- Requires Java Runtime Environment
Get started with Nanonets. Extract data with 95%+ accuracy. Start your free trial today. No credit card is required.
Tesseract Urdu OCR tool can convert any grayscale image with text to digital text. The tesseract ocr engine can detect and extract around 100 languages without any difficulties. Tesseract OCR can also deskew and rotate images to create proper bounding boxes for enhanced data detection.
The new version of Tesseract also supports more languages, including ideographic languages and right-to-left writing. There are many libraries based on Tesseract like PyPDF2 that can work as a data extraction tool.
Capterra rating: 4.0
G2 rating: 4.4
Pros of using Tesseract:
- Accurate OCR results
- Easy to build a training set
- Lightweight OCR library
- Many 3rd party applications use it
Cons of using Tesseract:
- PDF documents are not supported
- Not able to automate document extraction
- Lack of batch OCR
- PDF documents are not supported.
- No automation features
Automate Urdu document processing with Nanonets. Process 50k+ documents on 10x faster. Upload your documents now. No credit card is required.
Google Document AI uses advanced ML and AI to automatically extract data from documents, images, and scanned documents. It can extract, categorize and enrich data from documents.
Google Document AI can be used for multiple languages including Urdu. The software works well with Urdu script and can extract text with high precision.
Pros of using Document AI:
- Easy setup
- Works well with other Google offerings
Cons of using Document AI:
- Documentation could be better
- Need more templates
- Sharing options are less
- Formatting options are less diversified.
- Old API documentation
Microsoft Azure OCR leverages Azure Machine Learning to detect text from documents and images. It can be used as Urdu OCR software. The platform also used the Tesseract OCR engine to provide support for additional languages.
It is possible to automate data capture from documents and images if you connect with the Microsoft Power Automate platform.
Capterra rating: 4.6
Pros of using Microsoft Azure:
- Affordable pricing plans
- Easy integration with the Microsoft suite
- Better customer service
Cons of using Microsoft Azure:
- Platform Expertise is required
- Requires everyday management
- Limited storage capabilities – stores data up to 30 days
- No audit trails
- Lack of Geographically Distributed Data Centers
- Fewer Services than Competitive Products
Check out Nanonets in action! No credit card is required.
Which is the best Urdu OCR software?
This blog lists all the major Urdu OCR software with its pros and cons. You need to map your requirements with the pros and cons of the abovementioned software to find your best pick for Urdu OCR software.
Our pick for the best Urdu OCR software is Nanonets
The accuracy of all the Urdu OCR Software varies by document quality and the OCR models. The best among them all as per the quality and precision is Nanonets, as in the case of Nanonets, these OCR models evolve with time.
Other online Urdu OCR tools :
In case you want to process small Urdu text, there are multiple OCR tools available that would do that for you. Here is the list of some online Urdu OCR tools: